News: Diving into the mega-horsepower Dodge Charger Ghoul • New Dodge Ad Showcases Fast and Furious Connection

Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#429 April 06 2:44 PM
Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
So has Stellantis fixed the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator’s highly variable steering yet?

In theory, a fix was done in 2019, but some are still finding the steering to be wandering, quite aside from the usual issues related to their design qualities.

One owner said he'd owned a string of Wranglers and test drove a dozen JLs before buying, to make sure his steered well. Some wander and some are right. A recall is reportedly under way.

Like Reply Quote
Dave #447 April 10 9:28 PM
I think the answer is a solid maybe. I owned a 2018 JLUR that was horrible, very vague, wandered all over the road. After a new steering box, updated track bar, larger steering stabilizer, and an optimized alignment it was much improved but still no fun to drive at highway speeds in traffic. JL was a Feb 18 build so fairly early down the line. I replaced it with a JTLE that was a good improvement right out of the box, still wandered but better. Last fall I had the TSB completed that swapped the aluminum steering box for the 2021 standard steel box and a lot of the slop and wandering disappeared. It's still a little squirrely in traffic (wind off of other vehicles seems to move it around a little, similar to driving on windy days thanks to the flat sides.) I think they are on the right track, my main complaint is that the electric steering feels very overboosted which contributes to the wandering through overcorrection, and that should be tunable to speed and 4x4 mode. I've heard rumors of a recall since the JL days, nothing so far though.

Like Reply Quote
Dave #458 April 13 12:00 PM
Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
Wind will blow it around regardless of steering, given that boxy shape; our Neon and 300M had very precise steering but both were pretty subject to crosswinds. I wonder if the electric steering was originally tuned to compensate for the poor mechanicals. Thanks for the detail.

Like Reply Quote
1 member likes this: Tony K
Dave #463 April 15 10:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I do wonder why there seems to be no factory testing.

Like Reply Quote
Dave #470 April 18 12:17 PM
This is going to be a deciding factor for me when it comes time to purchase. I’m still thinking of getting a Gladiator because it combines my wants...another Wrangler and a truck...but it’ll depend heavily on the test drive. My commute is long, so I don’t want to be constantly fighting my vehicle. Been there, done that with my old TJ...however I never felt like anything was “wrong” with how the steering felt on the TJ, it was just how a Wrangler was supposed to feel. But reading comments from lots of JL & JT owners, this doesn’t feel right, and it varies from vehicle to vehicle which reinforces that there is actually something wrong. If they all felt that way perhaps you could make the argument that that’s how it’s supposed to feel.

AKA Zagnut27 from Allpar
Like Reply Quote
I work with a guy, he leased a 2020 JT Overland for his wife. He and I talked about the steering issues at length before he took delivery, his wife loved it, no issues drove like a dream. Fast forward a few months, he orders a 2021 JT Sport S for himself, wife drives it one day and decided hers was broken it was significantly tighter driving the 21. The 21 steering is much better, she got the new steering gear in hers and it's perfect again in her eyes.

Like Reply Quote
1 member likes this: Tony K
Dave #494 April 23 2:30 PM
Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
Hopefully that's not a one-off - they've finally fixed the issue entirely. There should not be much variation in modern production, and for what they charge for the JL and JT, they can test each one for 1,000 yards..

Last edited by Dave; April 23 2:30 PM.
Like Reply Quote
Dave #578 June 04 10:39 AM
Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
Have we heard anything more about the 2021s?

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard
Dodge Charger Ghoul Hellcat
Diving into the mega-horsepower Dodge Charger Ghoul
Fast 9 Dodge Charger
New Dodge Ad Showcases Fast and Furious Connection

Modifications and text © 2021 Zatz LLC; eventually to be reassigned to a partnership