News: Diving into the mega-horsepower Dodge Charger Ghoul • New Dodge Ad Showcases Fast and Furious Connection

Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#525 May 07 2:39 PM
OP Offline
The narrator states that the 170 was one of the Barracuda's engines, but that might not be accurate. In the Standard Catalog of Chrysler, the note under the 1965 Barracuda engines states, "The 225 cubic-inch engine was standard in Barracuda Six." The 1966 Barracuda refers back to the 1965 engine data. Under the 1967 description, it states, "...the 170 cubic-inch Six was not available in 1967 Barracudas." Otherwise, a generally favorable review:

Last edited by scrounge; May 07 2:42 PM. Reason: changed past to present tense twice

Move over, professionals are racing.
Like Reply Quote
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The engine in this car made 235 not 180. The 2 bbl version was 180.
kk

Like Reply Quote
It's all pretty gross - that is, not net horsepower. I don't recall the 273 hanging around long enough to get a net rating.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Yes, those were advertised HP ratings at the time. And yes those were gross ratings. I had a Formula S Barracuda with the 235 hp 273 with a 4 spd trans in the mid 70's. The previous owner had replaced the 3:54 rear axle with a 2:73. Acceleration wasn't the greatest but it was a great road car. Third gear was very versatile, especially for passing at higher speeds. I wish I still had that car. I sold it to a friend with the stipulation that if he ever sold it I was to have first dibs. He burned-out the clutch and junked it. I could have killed him.
kk

Like Reply Quote
I wonder how those cars would do with a wide-ratio five-speed.

Like Reply Quote
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dave
I don't recall the 273 hanging around long enough to get a net rating.

1969 was its last year. Too bad it was dropped, it was a good little engine. The other makes also either dropped their smaller V8 engines, or increased their cubic-inch dimensions, around the same time.

Like Reply Quote
It would have been handy later on, I suspect. Quite a hot little motor with the right carburetion, but I think the only car it was really needed for was the Valiant, and when they increased the engine bay and made the E-body, the 273 was superfluous.

Like Reply Quote
OP Offline
The 273 was also the base V8 in the Belvedere/Satellite and Coronet models of the day. With a 2-bbl carb, it returned decent mileage for a V8.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard
Dodge Charger Ghoul Hellcat
Diving into the mega-horsepower Dodge Charger Ghoul
Fast 9 Dodge Charger
New Dodge Ad Showcases Fast and Furious Connection

Modifications and text © 2021 Zatz LLC; eventually to be reassigned to a partnership